Thursday, March 20, 2008

Singer-songwriter Elizabeth Cumbest uses her gift to raise over $42,000 for Katrina Recovery efforts; will perform at General Conference 2008

Elizabeth Cumbest performs “Seashore” onstage during opening worship at Youth 2007 in Greensboro, N. C. She will close the Katrina Bishops’ Appeal Report at General Conference with an original song created for the occasion on April 29, 2008 in Fort Worth, Texas. Proceeds (over $42,000) from her CD, “All Things New,” will help rebuild the Seashore Mission destroyed by Katrina. Photo by Mike Dubose, UMNS.


NASHVILLE, Tenn., March 18, 2008 /GBOD/ -- “My outlook on who I am and what God has called me to do changed because of a storm. When Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, I was scared. I sat in the corner of my living room crying, wondering if my family was alive and trying to find hope. I started praying, and I picked up my guitar and sang a song that would be a new beginning for me.”

So writes United Methodist youth Elizabeth Cumbest in the January-February 2008 issue of Devozine magazine, which features her response to disaster and her success in winning the Devozine 2007 SoulTunes Contest (http://www.upperroom.org/devozine/pdf/jf08wknd.pdf) as the cover story.

Cumbest, a 17-year-old singer/songwriter, will perform on Monday, April 28, at 9:20 a.m., as part of the Katrina Bishops’ Appeal Report on Katrina Recovery at General Conference 2008, the meeting of the denomination’s top legislative body, April 23-May 2, in Fort Worth, Texas.

Elizabeth will be closing the presentation entitled “Our Shattered Lives” with a new song she is writing for the occasion. Also, a part of the report will be the amazing story of her efforts to raise money to rebuild the ministry and the facility of Seashore Mission, a ministry to the homeless along the Gulf Coast where Elizabeth was a volunteer before Katrina demolished the building, killing six members of the staff.

Wanting to do something to help, Elizabeth decided to record her songs and give the proceeds from her CD, “All Things New,” to Seashore Mission. She also entered some of the songs in the Devozine SoulTunes Contest.

“I never imagined that God would give me another incredible opportunity. My song ‘Seashore’ won first place! Before I knew it I was on my way to Youth 2007 to sing in front of thousands of young people. As I walked on stage that night, I was nervous; but in that moment, God took over and sang through me. The rest of the week, I connected with many other people my age who are at work all over the world serving God,” Cumbest said in the Devozine article.

To date, Elizabeth has raised over $42,000; and the Board of Seashore Mission is currently meeting to envision the future of this ministry of hospitality to the homeless along the Gulf Coast.

A photo of Elizabeth singing at Youth 2007 graces the cover of the January-February 2008 issue of Devozine, and her article appears in the section titled “The Soundtrack of My Life” (pages 43-47).

The Upper Room, a ministry of GBOD, is providing 1000 copies of the issue to every General Conference delegate. Delegates may pick up a copy of the magazine at the GBOD display in the General Conference exhibit area.

Devozine, The Upper Room’s devotional magazine for youth, gives young people an opportunity to express their faith to their own generation, usually in print but sometimes, as in Elizabeth’s case, on stage in front of 6,200 young people.

“Elizabeth has been invited to speak and sing at many youth events, local churches and annual conference sessions. She has encouraged many volunteers from around the U.S. to
join in the recovery efforts on the Gulf Coast. I think making her story available is a valuable way to connect with and to inspire delegates from around the world,” says Sandy Miller, editor of Devozine.

Elizabeth is the daughter of United Methodist clergy, the Reverends Chris and Sheila Cumbest of the Mississippi Conference. Chris is pastor of St. Paul UMC in Ocean Springs, while Sheila is the director of Ministerial Services for the Conference.

To order the CD, send $12.50 ($10.00 donation + $2.50 for shipping) to Elizabeth Cumbest, P.O. Box 849, Hurley, Miss. 39555. (Make checks payable to Seashore Mission and mark them for “All Things New.”) Or you can order online at http://cdbaby.com or download the music through iTunes. For more info, visit http://www.elizabethcumbest.com/.